A Small Firm With Big Results
Jeffrey E. Strauss, Esq.
- Principal Attorney
Jeffrey E. Strauss was admitted to the New Jersey, New York, and Washington D.C. bars; admitted to U.S. Supreme Court (1999); admitted to U.S. Third Circuit Court of Appeals (1998).
Mr. Strauss has been designated by the New Jersey Supreme Court as a Certified Civil Trial Attorney in 1992 and has been recertified in 1999, 2006, 2011 and 2016. He has obtained numerous verdicts and settlements on behalf of his clients since he began the practice of law in 1986. He is a Litigator; a Trial Lawyer.
Mr. Strauss is a 1979 graduate of Rutgers University where he majored in Zoology and Physiology. Upon graduation he pursued graduate coursework in Immunology, Endocrinology and Biochemistry. He then attended Graduate school at Boston University providing laboratory teaching assistance in Human Anatomy and obtaining his Master of Science degree in Health Sciences-Applied Anatomy and Physiology. He chose to enter the law in 1983 at Western Michigan University-Cooley Law School in Lansing, Michigan where he was invited to join the Law Review during his first year eventually serving as its Articles Editor.
Mr. Strauss graduated from law school Cum Laude in January 1986 and worked for the U.S. Department of Human Services Office of General Counsel in New York City on Medicare Appeals until becoming a member of the New Jersey Bar in June 1986. He then associated with law firms specializing in substantial injury cases due to Medical Malpractice, Product Liability, Industrial and Construction accidents and Serious Car or Truck Crashes.
Mr. Strauss has been the Co-Chair of the New Jersey State Bar Association's Medical Malpractice Subcommittee for two years, he is a member of the Union County Bar Association, a Master in the Richard J. Hughes Inns of Court of Union County, a member of the New Jersey Association for Justice, formerly known as The New Jersey Trial Lawyers Association.
He was the lead author of "Selecting the Right Cases" published in the New Jersey Law Journal's Medical Malpractice Section, August 8, 2005. Mr. Strauss is a Member of the Bar in New Jersey, New York and Washington D.C. and is admitted to practice in the New Jersey State and Federal Courts, the New York State Courts and the Federal District Court for the Southern District of New York, the U.S. Third Circuit Court of Appeals and the United States Supreme Court.
His practice is devoted to litigation and he has been counsel on numerous significant cases during his career, most significantly as co-counsel in obtaining a $21 million jury verdict involving inflicted brain injuries to an infant by foster parents This was one of the largest verdicts in the nation in 2006. In 2016, Mr. Strauss settled a substantial brain injury case on the eve of trial for $15 million, the largest medical malpractice recovery in 2015 and the second largest from mid-2015-2016. A New York medical malpractice matter involving a brain injury was resolved at mediation yielding a $3 million settlement in 2013. In October 2014, he obtained a verdict in a New Jersey Medical Malpractice matter involving a gall bladder surgery for $ 1.31 million.
He has been involved in numerous appellate cases in the State and Federal Courts of New Jersey and before the New York Supreme Court- Appellate Division. Mr. Strauss is involved in his community and has served as an elected member of the Scotch Plains Township Council, a four year post. He serves as a Trustee for the Scotch Plains Senior Citizen Housing Corporation. He continues as a long-time member of the Scotch Plains Planning Board, was Council liaison to the Recreation Commission and a member of the Shared Governmental Services Committee which coordinated services and functions with the Scotch Plains-Fanwood Board of Education and the Borough of Fanwood. Previously, he was a resident in Fanwood and served on the Zoning and Planning Boards in Fanwood and has been involved in numerous community and sports organizations.
Jeffrey Strauss has been rated AV Preeminent* through Martindale-Hubbell and has been included in the Super Lawyers list of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018. Furthermore, he was awarded the "Lead Counsel" Rating by the Lead Counsel Review Board in 2013 which continues to the present.
- Western Michigan University, Cooley Law School, Lansing, Michigan
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence - 1986
- Honors: cum laude
- Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts
- M.S., Master of Science - 1982
- Major: Applied Anatomy and Physiology
- Rutgers University, Newark, New Jersey
- B.S. - 1979
- Major: Zoology and Physiology
- Rutgers University
- Graduate coursework in Immunology and Endocrinology - 1981
- Selecting the Right Cases, Lead Author, New Jersey Law Journal's Medical Malpractice Section, 2005
- New Jersey, 1986
- New York, 2004
- District of Columbia, 1987
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1986
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1998
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1999
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 2014
- Union County Bar Association, Member
- Union County Inns of Court, Master, 2001 to Present
- New Jersey Bar Association, Medical Malpractice Sub Committee, 2000 to 2005
- AAJ (American Association for Justice), Member
- NJAJ (New Jersey Association for Justice), Member, Present
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified Civil Trial Attorney, Supreme Court of New Jersey, Board on Trial Attorney Certification, 1992, Recertified in 1999, 2006, 2011 and 2016
- Medical Malpractice 60%
- Car, Truck and Motor Vehicle Crashes 25%
- Fall Down/Premises Liability 5%
- Wrongful Death 5%
- Brain & Spinal Cord 5%
- A-V Rated Lawyer (top tier-Pre-Eminent, 5/5 rated), Martindale.com
- Included in the Super Lawyers list, 2010 – 2018
- “Lead Counsel” Rating, Lead Counsel Review Board, 2013 - Present
Classes & Seminars
- Laboratory Teaching Assistant, Human Anatomy, Boston University
- Scotch Plains Township Council, Elected Member
- Scotch Plains Senior Citizen Housing Corporation, Trustee
- Scotch Plains Planning Board, Member
- Recreation Commission, Council Liaison
- Shared Governmental Services Committee, Member
- U.S. Department of Human Services Office of General Counsel, New York